1/1 Photo of Spinach, Portabella, Bacon & Blue Cheese in Walnut Dressing
From the *Carnival Experience* cookbook & Peter Leypold (Executive Chef of Carnival Cruise Lines), this was by far my favorite salad enjoyed on our recent Carribean cruise. I entered this recipe as written, but suggest you read my notes at the end of the prep steps for a suggestion to abbreviate the prep + optional ingredient subs. This is definitely a company-worthy salad & I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :-) (Time includes making the dressing & assembling the salads, but assumes all ingredient prep has been done in advance)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For Walnut Dressing
- 1/4 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar (See Note #3)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon shallot (minced)
- 1For Dressing: Whisk together all ingredients. Season w/salt + pepper as desired & set aside.
- 2For Salads:.
- 3Preheat oven to 375°F Toss 1/4 cup walnuts w/1 tsp powd sugar. Place on baking sheet & bake 6-8 min, stirring occ. Watch carefully to avoid burning. Set aside to cool.
- 4Combine spinach, sliced mushrooms & crumbled bacon in a lrg bowl. Add dressing & toss to coat.
- 5Divide mixture onto 6 salad plates & sprinkle w/toasted walnuts + crumbled blue cheese. Serve immediately.
- 6NOTE #1: I frankly did not notice that much of a distinction between the plain walnuts mixed w/the dressing & the toasted & slightly sweetened walnuts atop the salad. For that reason, I will likely just combine the 1/2 cup walnuts w/the dressing, add the tsp of powd sugar for a hint of sweetness & eliminate the toasting step.
- 7Note #2: As an option, feel free to sub pecans in this recipe or even use pine nuts which I think work very well w/spinach salads.
- 8Note #3: For those of you (like me) who do not keep red wine vinegar in your pantry, make your own using a 1:3 ratio. For this recipe using 1/4 cup, that would be 1 tbsp red wine mixed w/3 tbsp white vinegar. Too easy, huh?
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach, Portabella, Bacon & Blue Cheese in Walnut Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.7
- Calories from Fat 422
- Total Fat 46.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 23.8 mg
- Sodium 364.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 7.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: