Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Taken from Bon Appetit magazine. This recipe was included in a lesson on how to best pan-fry steak. Definitely not for those watching their weight, however maybe it can be saved for a special occasion or "cheat night". :) Please note, cooking time includes one hour of "standing time".
- 2 (10 ounce) rib eye steaks, each about 1-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, thickly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh rosemary (minced)
- 1 1⁄4 cups blue cheese, crumbled
- Place steaks in shallow dish, drizzle with olive oil and rub the oil all over the steaks.
- Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper and let stand at room temperature for one hour.
- Melt butter in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and saute until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and garlic; saute until mushrooms are just tender, about 4 minutes.
- Heat heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add steaks to skillet; fry until cooked to desired doneness (about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare).
- Transfer steaks to plates; tent loosely with tin foil to keep warm.
- Add broth, then brandy and rosemary to same large skillet; bring to boil, scraping up browned bits.
- Add mushroom mixture; boil until liquid is thick enough to coat spoon lightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup blue cheese; stir just until cheese melts, about 1 minute.
- Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon sauce over steaks; sprinkle with remaining blue cheese.
- Garnish with rosemary sprigs if desired.
Yum! We love steak and this was a great way to prepare it. The sauce was great. Thanks jonesies. Made for I Recommend tag.
This is one of the best pan fried steaks that I've ever made. Perfect since it's raining outside now. The sauce is to die for. I only used a total of 4 oz of blue cheese but it was perfect for me. The sauce thickened up nicely. My steak was a perfect medium rare after 9 minutes. DH is going to hate that he missed this one. Thanks jonesies for a real keeper.
My husband and I love Rib eye steaks and this recipe was excellent. I cooked them in an iron skillet to sear and finished them off in the oven till med rare. The sauce was wonderful! I added a little flour to thicken. Thank you for posting!