Chicagoland Chef du Jour's Note:
This is a recipe I clipped from a cooking magazine over 20 years ago. I suppose the salad is similar to others posted but the dressing is slightly different. Pear nectar can be found amongst the canned juices at your grocer. Buy a good crumbled blue cheese and feel free to cheat and buy pre-sweetened nuts. Enjoy this refreshing salad. Cook time is sugar coating the nuts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 medium pears, semi-firm but ripe, peels on
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salad greens, enough for 8 servings
- 1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup walnuts, candied (see recipe below)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- vinaigrette dressing (recipe below)
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup salad oil
- 1/3 cup pear nectar
- 1 teaspoon dijon-style mustard, sub. grainy brown
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1Halve and core the pears. Slice thin, brush with lemon juice to prevent browning. This may be done up to 60 minutes ahead.
- 2To arrange the salads: line plates with salad greens.
- 3Fan pear slices atop each serving.
- 4Sprinkle with some blue cheese and candied nuts.
- 5Drizzle with dressing. Serve extra on the side.
- 6CANDIED WALNUTS / PECANS.
- 7Line a baking sheet with foil. Butter or spray with a nonstick oil.
- 8In a heavy skillet, over medium heat, combine: 1 C walnuts, 1/2 C sugar and 2 T butter.
- 9Cook until sugar starts to melt, DO NOT stir. Reduce heat to low and cook 'til sugar is golden brown. Stirring occasionally.
- 10Remove from heat and pour onto prepared baking sheet. Cool completely. Break into clusters.
- 11PEAR NECTAR VINAIGRETTE.
- 12In a screw top jar, combine:
- 13white wine vinegar, oil, pear nectar, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper.
- 14Cover and shake well.
- 15Store in refrigerator for up to one week.
- 16Shake before serving.
- 17Makes about 1°C.
Browse Our Top Salad Dressings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Salad Dressings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pear & Blue Cheese Walnut Salad W/ Pear Vinaigrette
Serving Size: 1 (133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 324.6
- Calories from Fat 215
- Total Fat 23.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 13.9 mg
- Sodium 217.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 19.5 g
- Protein 4.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar