William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
This recipe is a combination of Uncle Bill's Potato Salad and Leslie's Potato Salad with Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing. Thank you Lelsie for giving me permission to use your wonderful dressing. The lemon juice in the boiled potatoes and the blue cheese in the dressing makes this salad so delicious and tasty. This salad is well worth the time to make.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs young nugget potatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 sprig fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 4 large eggs, hardboiled and chopped
- 1/2 large sweet red pepper, seeded and diced small
- 2 large celery ribs, from the center of the bunch chopped small
- 4 large radishes, chopped smal
- 2 large green onions, chopped small
- 4 slices bacon, cooked until crispy, then crushed (optional)
- 2 cups mayonnaise (Kraft Miracle Whip preferred)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 cup processed horseradish
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed or 3 tablespoons of chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 2 large green onions, chopped small
- 1/4 cup chopped gherkin
- 1/4 cup juice from the gherkin pickle jar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon pepper or 3/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise, to spread over the top of the salad
- 1Wash the potatoes well, do not peel.
- 2Cut potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes and place in a large saucepan set over high heat. Cover with water, add 1 tablespoon of salt and mint sprig and bring to boil.
- 3Reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are just tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Do not overcook.
- 4When done, drain well, discard mint leaves, leaving the potatoes in the saucepan, and while the potatoes are still hot, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and toss lightly to coat.
- 5Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate to cool.
- 6Meanwhile cook bacon in a frying pan, (if using) on medium-low heat until very crispy, turning often, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove to paper towels to drain and cool.
- 7While the potatoes are cooking, place the eggs in a saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- 8Drain, and immediately pour cold water over eggs, changing water at least 3 times, then cover again with cold water to cool for about 5 minutes.
- 9Peel the eggs, rinse with cold water and place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to completely cool. Chop eggs when ready.
- 11In a mixing bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, 2 teaspoons of lemon juice, Dijon mustard, hot pepper sauce, horseradish, dill weed, crumbled blue cheese, chopped green onion, chopped Gherkins, Cherkin juice, salt and pepper; stir to mix well and set aside.
- 12Transfer the cooled potatoes and chopped hard boiled eggs to a large mixing bowl.
- 13Add red pepper, celery, radishes and green onions and gently stir to incorporate.
- 14Pour dressing over the potato mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until well mixed. Level the top.
- 15Sprad 1/4 cup of mayonnaise hinly over the potato salad. (This helps seal the moisture in the potato salad.).
- 16For presentation, lightly sprinkle some Hungarian paprika over the salad.
- 17If desired, cook 2 extra hard boiled eggs, cut into slices and arrange on top of the salad.
- 18Cover the salad with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1/2 hour before serving.
- 19Crush the cooked bacon and place on the table to use as desired.
Browse Our Top Salad Dressings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Salad Dressings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Potato Salad With Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (345 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 962.8
- Calories from Fat 546
- Total Fat 60.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.0 g
- Cholesterol 271.1 mg
- Sodium 3842.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 15.2 g
- Protein 19.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: