Not sure how this started ... I was trying to use up vegetables in the fridge and made this. Since then anytime I make steak for a dinner party I always get asked to make them. I am sure there are other versions of this, but this is so good and easy. These can be grilled outside which is my method, but this works well with a grill pan and even baked in the oven. Don't be intimidated that you can outside grill. Most grilled recipes can be done inside and even in the oven. It may not have the charcoal flavor but the texture will be close.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 portabella mushrooms (stems removed)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes (lightly seeded and chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 -12 ounces crumbled blue cheese or 10 -12 ounces you can use gorgonzola
- 1/2 cup dried Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1Mushrooms -- Remove the stem and lightly brush out the inside of the mushroom caps and clean off the mushrooms with a damp towel.
- 2Filling -- Chop the onions, tomato and toss with the olive oil, salt, pepper and parsley and fill the mushroom caps.
- 3Topping -- Mix the blue cheese and the bread crumbs and top the tomato onion mixture.
- 4Grill -- on indirect heat for about 20 minutes until the mushroom is soft and the cheese is melted. Or you can bake for 20 minutes again on 400 degrees, middle rack. I have also done this on a grill pan, but you do need to cover with a lid from a pot or pan just so the cheese will melt. It also takes around 20 minutes on medium heat. Just enjoy!
- 5Great served with steak, pork chops, chicken breasts, anything. Serve with a side salad for a great vegetarian dinner. You can slice them for smaller portions or serve a whole mushroom per person.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Tomato, Onion and Blue Cheese Stuffed Portabellos
Serving Size: 1 (121 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 402.6
- Calories from Fat 255
- Total Fat 28.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.4 g
- Cholesterol 53.4 mg
- Sodium 1701.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 19.7 g