Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 mins
Gourmet July 2009 Hot-wing aficionados will flip for these grilled shrimp, seasoned with bottled hot sauce and melted butter. Crunchy celery and homemade blue cheese dip are deliciously de rigueur accompaniments. Update: I made July 4th and they were a big hit. I will keep shrimp in freezer and Franks Red Hot Sauce on hand for and easy quick appetizer. I will also keep Litehouse blue cheese dressing on hand for the dip. Quick, easy and simple.
For blue cheese dip
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped scallion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled blue cheese (2 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons milk
- 18 jumbo shrimp, peeled, leaving last shell segment and tail fan attached, then deveined (1 1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup Frank's red hot sauce
- 1⁄2 bunch celery, cut into 4-inch sticks
- Make dip: Stir together ingredients, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Make shrimp: Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-hot charcoal (medium heat for gas); see Grilling Procedure . Toss shrimp with oil and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Oil grill rack, then grill shrimp, covered only if using a gas grill, turning once, until just cooked through, 7 to 8 minutes total. Stir together butter and hot sauce in a large bowl. Add shrimp and toss until coated. Serve shrimp with dip and celery.
- Cooks' note: Shrimp can be cooked in an oiled hot 2-burner grill pan over medium heat.