Afternoon tea wouldn't be the same for my family without these scones. Enjoy!
Make and share this Blueberry Lemon Scones recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add just enough buttermilk to form a soft dough.
- Stir in lemon peel and blueberries.
- Turn out onto a floured board and roll out to 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut the dough into 1 1/2 inch rounds.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Brush the top of each scone with buttermilk and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
I chose this recipe specifically for its relatively low sugar content, so I did not add the buttermilk/sugar topping....but they were still very good. They would probably be just as nice with fresh blueberries, but I used dried as per the recipe (from Trader Joe's).
These were awesome! The dough was a dream to work with and the taste and texture of the finished scones were perfect! A flakey, soft yet crunchy and overall plain addictive scone recipe! :)
I tossed in some cranberries with the blueberries, which added a nice flavour. I think these would be great with other flavours, such as cinnamon or vanilla as well.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this wonderful recipe here with us, quondamquadrat!
Made and reviewed for my Pick A Chef Baby March 2011.